Tegoshi Yuya's History in LINE OA

Translator's Note: I tried to follow as closely to his words as possible, hence the broken up sentences and clauses throughout. The way he broke up the sentences, SMH. Still love him though. 🤣

Anyway, I've provided both the literal translation which follows his sentences and words and also the meaning translation which shows how we normally speak in English.

Literal Translation



Hello, I am Tegoshi Yuya.


For adding the official Tegoshi Yuya LINE account,
thank you very much!!!


In this LINE, there will be things like Tei!,
positive stuff, and anything else,
frivolous stuff
stuff like that, the usually cheerful Tegoshi
sending you energy


there will also be stuff a bit different from usual
as I'm thinking of showing you the plain old Tegoshi Yuya
I wrote this message.


To show my cheerful self
when sometimes I'm feeling down, working hard on filming


things about me that I don't really show to the public
right here, I think talking about
Tegoshi Yuya is alright..


After reading this message
becoming a bit more cheerful
starting to think of challenging stuff


looking forward to the future
if the amount of people thinking like that increases
I will be super happy.

Meaning Translation



Hello, I am Tegoshi Yuya.


Thank you very much for adding the official Tegoshi Yuya LINE account!!!


In this LINE, while there will be things like Tei!, positive stuff, anything and everything, frivolous stuff and etc, sending you energy by the usually cheerful Tegoshi, I also wrote this message wanting to show you the plain old Tegoshi Yuya who's a bit different from usual.


I was thinking that over here, it should be okay to talk to you about the Tegoshi Yuya who actually gets sad and works hard in the shadows, a me that's not shown to the outside as I've always been seen as a cheerful person.


I will be super happy if there is an increase in the amount of people who, after reading this message, become a bit more cheerful or start to think of taking on challenges and become able to move forth.
Let's talk about what kind of youngster Tegoshi Yuya was..

I was born on 11th of November 1987
at Yokohama


"Do what you like"


was the way my parents taught me


so if I like soccer, I'll play soccer
if I want to swim, I'll swim
if I want to go for tuition classes, I'll go


just do things in a way that you won't regret
live life without regrets
was how I was brought up.


In primary school classes
if there's a committee group


I'd be the head of some committee
or the head of a department


always in a position above others
the teenager Tegoshi was


in for a shock


entering Johnny's at 15
debuting as a member of NEWS


I, was at the very bottom.
I was born on 11th of November 1987 at Yokohama.


My parents taught me to "do what you like", for example, if I like soccer, I'll play soccer, if I want to swim, I'll swim and if I want to go for tuition classes, I'll go, so their main idea is to nurture me into a person who lives life in a way that does not produce regrets.


Even when I was in primary school, if my class has a committee group and stuff like that, I'd be the head of some committee or the head of a department and I was always standing in a position that's above others.


I, as this kind of youngster Tegoshi, was in for a shock.


Upon entering Johnny's at 15 and debuting as a member of NEWS, I, was at the very bottom.
Though the narrow door was broken through..

I entered Johnny's Agency
at 15.


At the NHK audition venue
there were about, if I'm not wrong.. 300 people
and the chosen ones were far and few between.


It was a narrow door.


Well, it's an amazing agency
Johnny's Agency.


How was the audition going to be like
with that in mind
I went to the venue that day


once the audition started
I hate losing
so I decided that I definitely can't lose
my switch was flicked on (lol)


A few hours after the audition..


"YOU, let's go and watch V6's live concert"
Johnny-san told me
and in the next moment, I was at Yoyogi National Stadium First Gymnasium.


After that, things progressed smoothly


entering Johnny's Agency
and debuting as NEWS after 10 months.


Appearing on Mste, and the idol I liked at that time,
Tsuji-chan from Morning Musume, was right in front of me.


Yes, I was actually a fan of Morning Musume (lol)


The Tsuji-chan who I looked up to was at the front row
watching us perform.


Dreams do come true, don't they? Really.


Debuting as NEWS in 10 months
envious or elite and stuff


I was being told all that, but there's that
there are also a lot of painful things.


In fact, just going to the filming locations of NEWS
I hated that at the beginning.


I'll talk about that for the first time here.
When I entered Johnny's Agency, I was 15.


At the NHK audition venue, there were about, if I'm not wrong.. 300 people and the chosen ones were far and few between.


It was a narrow door.


Well, it's an amazing agency, the Johnny's Agency.


On that day, I went to the venue while wondering about how the audition was going to be like, but once the audition started, my switch was flicked on because I hate losing and I thought that I definitely cannot be beaten (lol)


A few hours after the audition..


"YOU, let's go and watch V6's live concert," Johnny-san said and in the next moment, I was at Yoyogi National Stadium First Gymnasium.


After that, things progressed smoothly and after entering Johnny's Agency for 10 months, I debuted as NEWS.


Appearing on Mste, and the idol I liked at that time, Tsuji-chan from Morning Musume, was right in front of me.


Yes, I was actually a fan of Morning Musume (lol)


The Tsuji-chan who I looked up to was at the front row watching us perform.


Dreams do come true, don't they? Really.


Debuting as NEWS in 10 months, I was being told various things like they're envious or I'm an elite and stuff, but there's that and then there are also a lot of painful things.


In fact, in the beginning, I even hated just going to the filming locations of NEWS.


I'll talk about that for the first time here.
The gap between ideals and reality…

I, hated
NEWS' film locations.


Actually, during the tailoring for the debut
my ideal that activities done as a Johnny's are sparkly
and the reality that I was facing formed an extremely huge gap.


Since primary school, I've been high up
and entering Johnny's and debuting in 10 months,
I've been called an elite


and then in NEWS, I was at the very bottom.


Not popular, and when shot as a group
on the CD jacket photograph
I was handled like an absentee
being put in a little window..


I was being treated like that.


We debuted from the World Cup Volley at Fuji TV and at that time on TV


"Tomorrow night at 9, World Cup Volley!"


when we were announcing something like that
I was only at the edge saying yes yes yes
and just nodding my head with zero lines.


The gap between the sparkly ideal and the reality was tough and
I hated going to work at our filming locations


I indeed hate losing.


How can I be in the center?
I tried hard to think about that and then Johnny-san said


"I want YOU to change people's stereotypical thinking that
Johnny's idols can't sing"


to me.


The thought of wanting to work hard on singing
came from this formative experience.
I, hated NEWS' film locations.


Actually, during the tailoring for the debut, my ideal that activities done as a Johnny's are sparkly and the reality that I was facing formed an extremely huge gap.


The me, who, since primary school, had been high up and debuted 10 months after entering Johnny's and being called an elite


was at the very bottom in NEWS.


In the CD jacket photograph where everyone was shot, I had no popularity and was being handled like an absentee and was being put in a little window..


I was being treated like that.


We debuted from the World Cup Volley at Fuji TV and at that time on TV, when we were announcing something like,


"Tomorrow night at 9, World Cup Volley!"


I was only at the edge saying yes yes yes and just nodding my head with zero lines.


The gap between the sparkly ideal and the reality was tough and I hated going to work at our filming locations but I indeed hate losing.


When I was trying hard to think about how I can be in the center, Johnny-san said,


"I want YOU to change people's stereotypical thinking that Johnny's idols can't sing"


to me.


This is one of the formative experiences that I can still think of today that made me want to work hard on singing.
Trained extremely hard, to being at the center for the first time.

From here on, I started to
train extremely hard.


These words from Johnny-san
I want YOU to change them"
when they were told to me


I thought about improving on my singing
that if Tegoshi does not
sing NEWS songs well
people cannot listen to them properly


until I can make people think like that
I have no other options than to improve on my singing.


At that time, I was still a high schooler
I didn't have much money but
each lesson was about ¥10000/2hours?


I paid the voice trainer like it's nothing
and started the hush hush practices.


I went frequently to the karaoke box at Shibuya・Dougenzaka
and improved my singing bit by bit during the fourth year since debut.


In the 6th single, "Hoshi wo Mezashite (Reach for the Stars)"
I finally got the center position.


I got more singing parts and more solo parts
I managed to get to stand in the middle


finally getting the recognition after working hard
and this made me realise that my efforts paid off
I was really happy.


After that, 50k people came for our
Dome concert where we were showered in cheers
being surrounded by fans, smooth-sailing…


That wasn't how it smoothly went


Members dropped out
becoming 4 members


NEWS, this group
I wonder if our group is the one that has gone through the most hardship.
From here on, I started to train extremely hard.


When Johnny-san told me, "I want YOU to change them", I thought about how I have no other options than to improve my singing so much that people think that if Tegoshi does not sing NEWS songs well, people cannot listen to them properly.


At that time, I was still a high schooler, so I didn't have much money but each lesson was about ¥10000/2hours?


I paid the voice trainer like it's nothing and started the hush hush practices.


I went frequently to the karaoke box at Shibuya・Dougenzaka and improved my singing bit by bit during the fourth year since debut.


In the 6th single, "Hoshi wo Mezashite (Reach for the Stars)", I finally got the center position.


I got more singing parts and more solo parts and I managed to get to stand in the middle and I was finally getting the recognition and that was when I realised that when I work hard, I will be rewarded, I was really happy.


After that, in our Dome concert that 50k people came for, we were showered in cheers, being surrounded by fans, and it was smooth-sailing…


That wasn't how it smoothly went


Members dropped out, becoming a 4-member group, I wonder if our group called NEWS is the one that has gone through the most hardship.
I'm also human so I have times when I get sad

Since NEWS became 4
I filmed for ItteQ
I went for overseas shoots


Everyone knows that
my heart is strong and I have steel-like mental capabilities
and this cheerful Tegoshi Yuya was made.


But,,


I'm also human, so honestly
I'm sad when I'm sad.


I'm awkward so in front of people
showing my sad or weak self
is something that I don't want to do.


Being an idol, you're not an actor,
or an artiste

you cannot not be an idol.


The ideal being imagined by the opposite gender, and the same gender
someone who can be all-mighty and do everything.


Becoming and carrying on being this ideal being
is something that I have to do.


But, I'm awkward.


I'm bad at that kinda tactful social manoeuvre
so though I have allies, I also have a lot of enemies.
Since NEWS became a 4-member group, I filmed for ItteQ and went on overseas shoots, a cheerful Tegoshi Yuya who has a strong heart and steel-like mental capabilities was made, a someone that everyone has come to know.


But,,


I'm also human, so honestly, I'm sad when I'm sad.


I'm awkward so, in front of people, I don't want to show myself as sad or weak.


Being an idol, you're neither an actor, nor an artiste, you cannot not be an idol.


Someone who is all-mighty and can do everything, the ideal being imagined by the opposite gender, and the same gender.


I used to think that I have to be that ideal being through and through.


But, Im awkward.


I'm bad at that kinda tactful social manoeuvre, so though I have allies, I also have a lot of enemies.
I want to be the only one human being called Tegoshi Yuya

There were a lot of haters..


But, I think that's alright.


Aiming to be accepted by tens of thousands of people
living life while lying to myself


being told who I look like, etc
being told whose activities mine are like, etc


above all those, I want to stay as Tegoshi Yuya.


I want to be the only one
that's why.


When I was in NEWS, I stood in front and
ran ahead and was gratefully controlled by the 3 of them
but


now, I've become alone.


What should I do.


A job like this that requires one to stand in front


"I'm doing it by myself" or
"I'm great, am I not?" and etc
are some misconceptions one has
but if there isn't anyone supporting him/her
then it's a no go.


If there are people who are even supporting me just a little bit


giving happiness to that person and
being able to change that person's life, etc


activities that enable me to do those things are ones that I want to
continue doing from here on too.


I'm, too, honestly very scared.


However, being honest to myself and doing things I like
going forward in life, "my father's death"
is something that I face up to.


I'll talk a bit about this too.
There were a lot of haters.. But, I think that's alright.


Rather than aiming to be accepted by tens of thousands of people, living life while lying to myself, being told who I look like, being told whose activities mine are like, etc, I want to stay as Tegoshi Yuya.


It's because I want to be the only one.


When I was in NEWS, I stood in front and ran ahead and was gratefully controlled by the 3 of them but now, I've become alone.


What should I do.


A job like this that requires one to stand in front, it's easy to have misconceptions like, "I'm doing it by myself" or "I'm great, am I not?" and etc, but if there isn't anyone supporting him/her, then it's a no go.


If there are people who are even supporting me just a little bit, I want to continue doing activities that enable me to give that person happiness even if it's just a little bit, and be able to change that person's life, etc.


I'm, too, honestly very scared.


However, being honest to myself and doing things I like going forward in life, I face up to "my father's death".


I'll talk a bit about this too.
Dying the next day is fine, and that's how I want to live my life, without regrets

My father died a few years ago.


That day, too, there were ItteQ and music programmes
and my mother suddenly called me


"Your father's life is in danger."


My head went blank
I rushed to the hospital urgently
but my father died.


That's when I thought.


Humans beings' lives end anytime
so, no matter how I die the next day
I want to live my life without regrets.


I was being taught by father about that
I want to live life without regrets


so, things I want to do, and stuff
going at them at the vigour like I would to realise dreams
I quit Johnny's Agency.


People reading this message till here
too


absolutely, live your own life without regrets
for things you want to do and your dreams
I would like you to live life moving forward


that's what I think.
My father died a few years ago.


That day, too, I was working for ItteQ and music programmes, and my mother suddenly called me,


"Your father's life is in danger."


My head went blank, and I rushed to the hospital urgently but my father died.


That's when I thought.


Humans beings' lives end anytime, so, no matter how I die the next day, I want to live my life without regrets.


My father taught me that and I want to live life without regrets, so, on the vigour of doing things that I want and realising dreams, I quit Johnny's Agency.


For people reading this message till here, too, I would like you to absolutely live your own life without regrets and live life moving forward for things you want to do and for your dreams.
I will show you my crazy hardworking self

So how, the Tegoshi Yuya now?
I'll talk about that in this final part.


As a solo artiste
having activities is a first so


of course there's some fear but
"What kind of encounters or jobs are waiting for me?"


there's also a lot of excitement.


Adventuring lots
not only by females
but also getting admired by males


I want to show that kind of Tegoshi Yuya going forward.


You, my male fan! Please look forward from now onwards too!


In this LINE, the messages will be different from usual
I will show you various Tegoshi Yuya


being cheerful and positive
standing at the front of everyone
taking on challenges
I'll be showing you lots of these, so


Me working crazy hard
and taking on challenges
and you seeing that, makes you be a bit more positive and be like


"I'll try to work a little bit harder"


and move forward even if it's just one step
then will be super happy and
can be glad from the bottom of my heart that I wrote the messages.


So from now onwards too, please look over the crazy hardworking
Tegoshi Yuya warmly, and even if it's just a little bit
I hope I can send power to you.
So how, the Tegoshi Yuya now?
I'll talk about that in this final part.


As a solo artiste, having activities is a first so, of course there's some fear but there's also a lot of excitement, like, "What kind of encounters or jobs are waiting for me?"


I want to show you a Tegoshi Yuya who adventures a lot and can get admired by not only females but also males.


You, my male fan! Please look forward from now onwards too!


In this LINE, the messages will be different from usual and while showing you various Tegoshi Yuya, I will also show you lotsa me being cheerful and positive, standing at the front of everyone, and taking on challenges, so, I will be super happy and can be glad from the bottom of my heart that I wrote the messages when you see me working crazy hard and taking on challenges, you become a bit more positive and be like,


"I'll try to work a little bit harder"


and move forward even if it's just one step.


So from now onwards too, please look over the crazy hardworking Tegoshi Yuya warmly, and even if it's just a little bit, I hope I can send power to you.

Comments